Growing your financial knowledge
can also pay dividends
Share trading can be a good way to build wealth. As with all investments, growing your financial knowledge can also pay dividends but there are risks involved. Shares can decline in value and should generally be regarded as a long term investment.
What is a trading platfrom?
A trading platform lets you buy, sell and manage your share portfolio online.
What type of accounts can I trade with?
A margin loan lets you borrow money to invest in approved shares or managed funds, using existing cash, shares or managed funds as security.
What can I invest in?
When you buy shares, you’re buying a portion of ownership in a company. With over 2,200 companies currently listed on the ASX, there’s an extensive selection of Australian shares to invest in.
Options are a type of derivative security. Options are contracts that grant the right, but not the obligation to buy or sell an underlying asset at a set price on or before a certain date.
Exchange traded funds
EFTs are managed funds that are listed on the share market. You buy and sell units in the fund itself.
Initial public offering
An Initial Public Offering (IPO or float) is a process where a company raises equity by offering shares to the public for the first time. Through IPOs you can gain exposure to companies when they’re first introduced on the market.
A warrant is a structured product that is issued over an underlying instrument such as a share, index, currency or commodity. They can be a good way to diversify your portfolio.
brokerage waived on up to 10 trades*
Open a directshares account before 31 December 2017 and we'll waive the first $50 of brokerage on up to 10 trades* for 30 days. Find out more.
* Conditions apply. See below for details:
1. Offer applies to new directshares customers who open a directshares account via the 'Start now' button on this page between between 1 January 2016 and 31 December 2017.
2. Offer only open to residents of Australia and New Zealand.
3. Offer is not available to employees of the Westpac Group or Share Investing Limited or their immediate families.
4. Offer is not valid in conjunction with any other offer.
5. Brokerage will be waived for your first 10 online share or ETF trades where the trade value is up to $45,454 and the trade is made within 30 days of your directshares account being opened. Where your trade value for any one of your first 10 online share or ETF trades is over $45,454, the first $50 brokerage (including GST) will be waived for that trade and you will have to pay the additional brokerage at directshares' standard rates. Free brokerage is up to the value of $500 (incl. GST).
6. The $19.95 brokerage rate will apply for the first online trade up to $5,000 and each subsequent online trade up to or equal to $18,000 for that calendar month. For full details, visit rates and fees.
7. You can use most BankSA, St.George Bank or Bank of Melbourne deposit accounts to link to your directshares broking account. If you are unsure if your account is eligible call 1300 133 500. Ineligible accounts include Maxi Saver accounts, Fixed Term accounts, Sense Savings accounts and Business Access Saver accounts.
8. The minimum value of shares you can purchase in one company through directshares is $600, plus brokerage.
9. There are no monthly account-keeping fees or subscription fees in relation to a directshares broking account. An account maintenance fee may apply. For full details visit rates and fees.
10. The offer only applies to ASX-listed equities conducted online through the directshares service, but excludes options, warrants and managed funds.
11. The directshares SharePack is not included in the offer.
12. The offer does not apply to trades that will settle through a margin loan account.
13. The offer does not apply upon failure to settle any trade.
14. We reserve the right to terminate this offer at any time.
15. We reserve the right to amend these terms and conditions at any time.
This information has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation and needs. Because of this, you should, before acting on this information, consider its appropriateness, having regard to your objectives, financial situation and needs.
© 2015 the directshares service is provided by Share Investing Limited ABN 93 078 174 973 AFSL 238277, an ASX and Chi-X Australia Market Participant, at the request of St.George Bank - A Division of Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 (“St.George”). Execution, settlement and clearing is undertaken by Share Investing Limited. St.George does not represent Share Investing Limited. Similarly Share Investing Limited does not represent St.George.
What type of fees are associated with trading?
Internet or phone brokerage fees
Fees based on investment product
Options platform fees
Fees for premium tax tools