Frequently Asked Questions
What information do I need to make an International Payment?
- Details of the person receiving the money, such as their name, address and their account number
- The name of the beneficiary bank, the branch address and appropriate overseas bank identification number such as IBAN number or SWIFT code
- Sufficient funds in your account
- Details of the currency you wish to send.
What does IBAN mean?
IBAN means International Bank Account Number. An IBAN is an International Bank Account standard adopted by most European countries and many other countries, especially in the Middle East and in the Caribbean. IBANs start with a two (2) letter country code and contain between fifteen (15) and thirty-four (34) letters and numbers. The IBAN should be presented as a continuous string of alphanumeric characters i.e. GB29NWBK60161331926819 is an example IBAN for the UK.
What is a SWIFT code?
A SWIFT/BIC code is a unique identification code of a particular bank. These codes are used when transferring money internationally between banks. BankSA for instance uses swift code SGBLAU2S.
This information has been prepared by BankSA– A division of Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL 233714 ("BankSA").
The exchange rates provided are applicable to foreign exchange products described on this website. The exchange rates are indicative only as at the time and date shown, are subject to market movements and therefore change continuously. They may also vary depending on the type of the transaction involved, and may be different for transactions over a certain amount. They should not be relied upon as an accurate representation of any final pricing. You should contact BankSA for up-to-date pricing prior to dealing.
1. Before using internet and phone banking, please read the BankSA Terms and Conditions for internet banking and phone banking. Payments are subject to our foreign exchange rates applicable at the time of the transaction. Other fees and charges may apply such as fees charged by the recipient bank. Payments must be made from an existing BankSA personal transaction or savings account, and will usually arrive within 2-5 business days, but may take longer depending on the country and receiving bank. Read the Online Banking Terms and Conditions before making a decision and consider whether the product is appropriate for you.
2. Overseas banks may impose fees and charges or convert the currency of the payment. BankSA might not have any control over the fees, charges or foreign currency conversions imposed by these institutions. Any overseas financial institution handling charges will by default be borne by the recipient of the International Payment and deducted from the payment amount, unless otherwise organised. It is possible that the overseas bank could convert the currency of the payment at an unfavourable exchange rate. You should inform the beneficiary that, if this occurs, they should consider rejecting the payment immediately so the payment can be unwound at the prevailing exchange rate. If you do not want the currency to be converted, please insert the words “Do Not Convert” in the description details free text box when you are making an international payment and we will on-forward this instruction.
We currently do not offer this product.
Global Currency Card
Information is current as at 19 January 2018.
You should read the BankSA Global Currency Card Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision and consider whether this product is appropriate for you. This information does not take into account your personal objectives, financial situation or needs and you should consider its appropriateness having regard to these factors before deciding to acquire this product.
BankSA – A Division of Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714, is the distributor of this product. Rev Australia Pty Ltd ACN 117 378 953 AFSL 401610 manages the BankSA Global Currency Card product for Cuscal Limited ACN 087 822 455 AFSL 244116, an authorised deposit-taking institution and a member of Visa International. Cuscal Limited is the issuer of the product but does not take deposits from you. BankSA is not responsible for and does not guarantee this product or card or your ability to access any prepaid value or the use of this product or card. You must be 16 years or older and have an Australian residential address to be eligible for this product. Internet connection is needed to access the BankSA Global Currency Card app. Normal mobile data charges apply. We support Apple iPhone iOS 6 and above and Android™ 2.3 and above. Apple, the Apple logo and iPhone are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc. Android is a trademark of Google Inc.
- No ATM withdrawal fee at Westpac Group ATMs in Australia and over 50,000 ATMs globally via Global ATM Alliance partners. Other fees and charges may be payable.
- A 3% BankSA foreign exchange fee applies to overseas transactions in a currency other than a Supported Currency.
- Visa Zero Liability Policy covers Australian and New Zealand issued cards and does not apply to ATM transactions, transactions not processed by Visa, or certain commercial card transactions. Cardholders should notify their issuer promptly of any unauthorised Visa use. Please consult the card issuer for additional details.