Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to accessibility page Skip to search input


How to save with SA’s first home buyer grants

So you’re thinking of buying your first home? An exciting move, and we’re here for you every step of the way with the latest info and tips. Yes, there’s some lingo to wrap your head around, but before long, you’ll be on top of everything from variable interest rates to offset accounts.

If you’re buying or building a home for the first time in South Australia, you could be eligible for financial help from the state government, bringing your dream of getting into the property market that much closer.

SA doesn’t offer stamp duty concessions but there are 2 assistance programs if you’re buying your first home:

1. First Home Owner Grant (FHOG)

If you’re buying or building a new home in SA, you could receive a $15,000 grant.

Who can access it?

First home buyers of a new home with a price of $575,000 or less.

Are you eligible for the First Home Owner Grant?

  • You must be 18 or over at the date of the contract.
  • At least one of the first home buyers must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
  • You must be an individual, not a company or trust.
  • You and your spouse or partner must never have owned or co-owned residential property in Australia. (If you bought an investment property on or after 1 July 2000 and have never occupied it for a continuous period of six months or more, you may be eligible.)
  • You and your spouse or partner must never have received a first home buyer grant in Australia.
  • You or one of the other first home buyers must move into the new home as your principal place of residence within 12 months of buying the property and live there for at least 6 continuous months. Australian Defence Force personnel may be exempt from this rule when they apply in writing to RevenueSA.

How it works

To qualify for this grant, you must be buying or building your first new home. This includes:

  • A newly built first property, such as a house, flat, townhouse or apartment, that meets local planning standards anywhere in South Australia. A new home means a house that has not been previously occupied or sold as a place of residence.
  • A substantially renovated home. This means most or all of the house has been removed or replaced and it must be the first time it has been sold as a new residential premise.
  • A land and building package
  • Vacant land on which you’ll build a new home.

How to apply for your FHOG

If you’re applying for the FHOG through an approved agent (your lender, which can be a bank or other financial institution), they’ll lodge the application form on your behalf  – you just need to have signed it and had it witnessed.

If you’re applying for the FHOG directly to RevenueSA, go to for the application form and the details. You’ll need to lodge your application within 12 months of settlement or completion of construction.

2. HomeBuilder Grant

If you’re building a new home, substantially renovating an existing one or buying a new (or off-the-plan) home, you could be eligible for the government’s $15,000 HomeBuilder grant.

Who can access it?

This grant applies to first home buyers and existing homeowners who earn no more than $125,000 (individuals) or $200,000 (couples).

Are you eligible?

  • You must be 18 or over at the date of the contract.
  • You must be an Australian citizen.
  • You must be an individual, not a company or trust.
  • The value of your new home (including land) can’t exceed $750,000. If you’re doing significant renovations (substantially altering your home or demolishing your home and rebuilding), they must be valued between $150,000 and $750,000, and the value of the existing property can’t exceed $1.5 million.
  • Your new home must not have previously been sold or occupied as a place of residence (unless you are doing significant renovations).
  • The contract must be signed between 1 January 2021 and 31 March 2021 (inclusive). Construction doesn’t have to start before 31 March 2021, but it must start within six months of the contract date.

Eligibility and application process for the HomeBuilder Grant is governed by each State or Territory Government. Please speak with a lender to discuss how the grant could assist with your loan application.

How to apply for HomeBuilder

Details of how to lodge your application online are available at You’ll lodge your application in a multi-step process, with the initial lodgement made after an eligible HomeBuilder contract has been entered into. Applications must be received no later than 14 April 2021.


As always, we’re here to help.

Call us on 13 13 76 to talk with a BankSA home loan expert.

You might also like

Buying that first home

Read more

Home-buying jargon explained

Watch now

Start your application online

Learn how much you could borrow.
It should only take around 20 minutes to apply.

A home loan expert will call you once you have submitted your application to talk through next steps.

Important information

Any recommendation made in this article does not take your objectives, financial situation or needs into account. Read the terms and conditions before making a decision if the product is right for you. Subject to BankSA’s approval. Conditions, credit criteria, fees and charges apply, credit provided byBankSA. ©BankSA – A Division of Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714.