We use social media (including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube) to provide news, education and support to our customers and communities.
On Facebook and Twitter, our Social Bankers are on deck to answer questions and provide service 24/7 (unless access to these social media channels are interrupted by circumstances beyond our control.)
We also provide 'comment' sections in some areas of our websites where readers can make contributions.
Social Media Privacy
What do we collect?
We may use your social media details and any contributions you make to us via social media, such as but not limited to posting on our pages, commenting on our posts or walls, tagging us in tweets or grams, inboxing / messaging us, engaging in a chat session with us or using a feedback or review function), to help resolve your enquiries, investigate concerns, for internal training purposes and to help us develop insights and conduct data analysis to improve the delivery of products and services, enhance our customer relationships and effectively manage risks, or other business purposes.
We may also consider your contributions (such as but not limited to comments, images, videos, links or other materials) for inclusion in material we develop for external distribution or publication to promote BankSA and other business purposes.
If we do consider your contributions for this purpose, we will always contact you to seek your explicit consent in relation to using those specific comments, images, videos, links or other materials before deciding to proceed with using them.
We receive general grouped statistics on the impact of posts, ads, tweets, videos and other content we create and place on social media, including volumes of reach, views, link clicks, likes, shares and retweets. This data is grouped and not identifiable to any particular individual who has interacted with our material on social media. This data is used to improve your experience on the social media platforms and our Products and Services.
If you choose to make a contribution on our social media profiles or addressed to us in social media (such as but not limited to posting on our pages, commenting on our posts or walls, tagging us in tweets or grams, inboxing / messaging us, engaging in a chat session with us or using a feedback or review function), you are acknowledging that we may acknowledge or respond to your contribution and that we can contact you through social media to the extent made possible by the social media platform's functionality and your settings on that platform.
When communicating with you by a Private Message/ Messenger or Direct Message, for security reasons, we may ask you to provide your contact details, a summary of your question, and a postcode or account name.
When we do respond to or contact you in social media, we will not seek to identify you as a customer of BankSA within social media, and will not ask you to share account numbers, policy numbers, customer IDs or other formal identification with anyone through any social media channels, public or private.
Who do we share your personal data with?
We may share your personal data within BankSA and other companies in the Westpac Group, our partners and third parties (some of which are located outside of Australia or the EEA). For more details, refer to Further Information.
If you are not satisfied with how we are processing your Personal data, or you would like to make a complaint you can contact:
- over the phone on 13 13 76 – call centres are open 8am – 8pm, Monday - Saturday from anywhere in Australia;
- in person – at any branch;
- online at Customer Complaints – using our secure feedback form to provide feedback, share your suggestions, provide a complaint or compliment; or
- write to us – at Reply Paid 5265, Sydney NSW 2001.
We welcome your feedback on social media whether it's a compliment, suggestion or a complaint. If you're ever unhappy about something we've done - or perhaps not done - please give us the opportunity to put things right.
We welcome your posts to our social media pages, but we moderate content to remove inappropriate or potentially offensive comments or posts by fake accounts.
Getting help with your banking and finances
We welcome your questions and suggestions, and will answer them wherever we can.
Be mindful that our social media pages are in the public domain. Information you post there is in public and may be open to opinions or responses from other participants.
Generally, the information we provide in response on social media is factual only. Sometimes we may give advice that is general in nature. To the extent that any advice is provided, it is general information only and should not be considered as a comprehensive statement on any matter and should not be relied upon as such. We will not use social media to give you any advice that takes into account your personal circumstances.
Guidelines for contributing to our Social Media Pages
These guidelines apply to anyone who would like to comment, post, tag, mention or message on our pages.
So when asking us questions or providing suggestions, keep in mind:
- Please don’t share any personal or financial information in public – that is, in posts or as comments or tweets, or images. This includes your contact details, birthday, account details, driver’s licence, tax file number, personal situation or reference numbers.
- Private Messages/ Messenger or Direct Messages can’t be seen by the general public visiting our page, only by our Social Bankers looking after your queries. However, please don’t ever share account numbers, policy numbers or customer IDs with anyone through any social media channels, public or private.
When sending us a Private Message or Direct Message, for security please only provide your contact details, a summary of your question, and a postcode or account name if we request it, and we may be able to arrange a call-back.
- If we do call back, we’ll ask you to confirm your identity to make sure we’re speaking to the right person, then you can fill us in.
Good social behaviour
We feel all visitors to our social media pages and readers of comments contributed on our webpages should feel respected and safe, so we may moderate our social media pages and comment sections on our websites to remove inappropriate content.
When making comments, please:
- be respectful of others’ comments and views.
- use considerate and appropriate language.
- don’t make remarks that are defamatory, disparaging, abusive, offensive, attacking, violent, threatening or use profanities.
- don’t post images or other media that are offensive, or belong to others. Please note that infringement on any party’s copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret, intellectual property, or other proprietary rights, or right of publicity or privacy is strictly prohibited and is your sole responsibility.
- don’t make negative comments in relation to the portrayal of any group based on race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, age, sexual preference, religion or disability.
- don’t solicit for your business or cause.
- don’t share links or material that may cause security breaches.
We welcome all feedback, both positive and negative, but it will sometimes be necessary to moderate content on our social media channels and in the comments sections of our websites. We reserve the right to remove any comments, images, links or other contributions solely at our discretion, including those which are:
- inaccurate, misleading or a misrepresentation
- providing financial advice
- over-sharing, or a breach of your or someone else’s confidentiality, security or privacy, including that of BankSA or our staff
- offensive, violent, attacking, abusive, derogatory or vilifying of others, including BankSA or our staff
- subject to legal, regulatory or ombudsman proceedings
- repeated statements, attempts to flood the page, or otherwise disrupt other visitors’ access to our support
- off-topic or unrelated to the conduct of our business or our customers’ queries
- otherwise not in the spirit of these guidelines, or causing undue concern or discomfort to our visitors.
Our commitment on social media
If you see any behaviour by us, including our staff, on social media that concerns you, please contact us by inboxing any of our social media profiles.
Information provided by us on our social media pages and all matters relating to them are governed by and are to be construed according to the laws applicable in the State of New South Wales and the Commonwealth of Australia. The information on the social media platforms may not satisfy the laws of any other country besides Australia. Unless otherwise stated expressly, products and services referred to on our social media sites are only available in Australia.
Visitors and contributors should also be aware of and observe each social media platform’s own guidelines for community behaviour.
All images and media we publish on our social media pages are used with permission.
Westpac Group is not responsible for and does not endorse or guarantee content, availability, viewpoints, products or services that are offered or expressed in posts by others on our pages.
Neither the BankSA nor any other company in the Westpac Group nor any of their directors, employees and associates gives any warranty of reliability or accuracy nor accepts any responsibility arising in any other way including by reason of negligence for, errors in, or omissions from, any information given by Westpac Group on the social media sites or in comments sections of our websites and does not accept any liability for any loss or damage, however caused, as a result of any person relying on any information on the social media sites. This disclaimer is subject to any applicable contrary provisions of the Australian Securities and Investments Commission Act and Competition and Consumer Act.