Saving for a goal
Setting a goal and having a savings plan is easier than it seems. Try these basic ideas to get motivated and stay on track:
Identify your goal and make a savings plan. Our budget planner calculator will show you how much you can save each week. Consider linking a high interest savings account to your transaction account and set up automatic deposits.
Write down your goal or make it visual. Set an image of your dream holiday destination as your computer screensaver, or post up a reminder that says, "I will save $100 a week".
Know yourself and your motivations. Some people can stay on track by checking account balances and watching their savings grow. Others really need a reward – if they save $50 a week for a month, for example, then they've earned a treat like dinner with friends.
Small steps are perfect. If you're young, you may be able to get help from family by asking them to match your savings. If you're paid a bonus at work, get a tax refund or receive a cash gift, deposit the lump sum straight away to make saving painless. Small, regular automatic deposits also have the power to help you save over time.
What about saving your coffee money each week (= $800 a year), packing lunch instead of buying it (= $2,000 to $5,000+ a year), or renting a DVD instead of going to the movies every month (= $120 a year)?
We have banking ideas that can really help:
- Try a Term Deposit to invest your money so you don't spend it
- A high interest online accounts with an Automatic Savings Plan
- A savings account that rewards you with bonus interest every month you make at least 1 deposit and no withdrawals. If you're ready to start saving, we can make it easy.
Call us on 13 13 76
New Maxi Saver customers can earn up to 5.35% p.a. total introductory rate for the first 3 months1 including a 3.90% p.a. introductory fixed interest rate and an online bonus rate of 0.35% p.a. on top of the standard variable rate, currently 1.10% p.a. Reverts to 1.10% p.a. standard variable rate after the first 3 months.
Conditions and fees apply.
Before making a decision, it's best to read the terms and conditions.
- Transaction, Savings and Investment Accounts: Terms and Conditions (incorporating fees and charges)
- Interest rates
Please read these documents and keep a copy. You can request a paper copy at a branch.
The information on our website is prepared without knowing your personal financial circumstances. Before you act on this, please consider if it's right for you. If you need help, call 13 13 76.
1. Maxi Saver total introductory rate
- The total introductory rate of 5.35% p.a. for the first 3 months is a combination of an introductory fixed interest rate of 3.90% p.a. and an online bonus rate of 0.35% p.a. on top of the standard variable rate, currently 1.10% p.a. Only available for new Maxi Saver accounts opened online by applicants who have never held a Maxi Saver account before. Joint accounts are eligible where the primary account holder has not held a Maxi Saver account before.
- Online bonus offer available from 17/11/2023 for a limited time only. Only available for new Maxi Saver accounts opened online by applicants who have never held a Maxi Saver account before. Joint accounts are eligible where the primary account holder has not held a Maxi Saver account before, and both applicants are existing customers. Other Joint accounts need to be opened in branch.
- Offer may be varied or withdrawn at any time.
- To hold a Maxi Saver account, you must also hold an eligible BankSA transaction account in the same name and be registered for Internet and Phone Banking. If you don't already have one, set up a Complete Freedom everyday account when you open a Maxi Saver account. Fees and charges may apply on the transaction account.