Saving for a goal
Setting a goal and having a savings plan is easier than it seems. Try these basic ideas to get motivated and stay on track:
Identify your goal and make a savings plan. Our budget planner calculator will show you how much you can save each week. Consider linking a high interest savings account to your transaction account and set up automatic deposits.
Write down your goal or make it visual. Set an image of your dream holiday destination as your computer screensaver, or post up a reminder that says, "I will save $100 a week".
Know yourself and your motivations. Some people can stay on track by checking account balances and watching their savings grow. Others really need a reward – if they save $50 a week for a month, for example, then they've earned a treat like dinner with friends.
Small steps are perfect. If you're young, you may be able to get help from family by asking them to match your savings. If you're paid a bonus at work, get a tax refund or receive a cash gift, deposit the lump sum straight away to make saving painless. Small, regular automatic deposits also have the power to help you save over time.
What about saving your coffee money each week (= $800 a year), packing lunch instead of buying it (= $2,000 to $5,000+ a year), or renting a DVD instead of going to the movies every month (= $120 a year)?
We have banking ideas that can really help:
- Try a Term Deposit to invest your money so you don't spend it
- A high interest online accounts with an Automatic Savings Plan
- A savings account that rewards you with bonus interest every month you make at least 1 deposit and no withdrawals. If you're ready to start saving, we can make it easy.
Call us on 13 13 76
Conditions and fees apply.
Before making a decision, it's best to read the terms and conditions.
- Transaction, Savings and Investment Accounts: Terms and Conditions (incorporating fees and charges)
- Interest rates
Please read these documents and keep a copy. You can request a paper copy at a branch.
The information on our website is prepared without knowing your personal financial circumstances. Before you act on this, please consider if it's right for you. If you need help, call 13 13 76.
1. If you open a new Maxi Saver account and you have not held a Maxi Saver account before and you are a personal customer, you'll earn an extra bonus of 2.10% p.a. on top of the standard variable Maxi Saver rate during the Promotional Rate Period. The standard variable Maxi Saver rate may be changed at any time but the fixed bonus rate will not change while it applies. The Promotional Rate Period is the first 3 months from the date your account is opened.