Skip to main content Skip to accessibility page Skip to search input

Home and Contents Insurance

Save 10% off your annual premium for the first year when you purchase a policy online and enter the promotional code COVER. Plus, save another 10% when you combine home and contents at the same address under the one policy.
  • Cover for a wide range of events – storms, floods, fire, theft and more
  • Sum insured safety net in case repair or replacement costs are higher than expected# – for peace of mind
  • Includes emergency accommodation – if your home becomes unliveable
  • 24/7 claims support – we’ll do whatever we can to help in your hour of need and support you every step of the way as you rebuild and recover
  • To get an idea of how much cover you may need, visit

Cover to suit you

  • Choose Building cover, Contents cover, or both to suit you - as a home, unit, holiday home owner or renter

3 levels of cover

  • Choose from 3 levels of cover for your Building and/or Contents against loss or damage: Essential Care, Quality Care, Premier Care

Optional Personal Valuables cover

  • Choose optional Personal Valuables cover to add to your Contents insurance to protect cherished jewellery, sporting equipment and portable electronic devices in and outside your home

Wide range of insured events

  • Insured events in Building and Contents cover include fire, storm, burglary, malicious acts, explosion, flood, lightning, escape of liquids, falling trees or branches, earthquake and more


  • New-for-old replacement regardless of age

Artworks and jewellery

  • Cover for your artworks, collections, collectibles, jewellery and watches included; limits apply so list additional items on your Contents policy, or add optional personal valuables cover for your jewellery and watches

Extra cover

  • Above and beyond your Building and/or Contents cover there's extra cover included
  • Removal of debris, emergency accommodation, professional fees e.g. engineer, and an eco-friendly rainwater tank and solar hot water system in case of a re-build

Pay by the month

  • Pay by the month with no monthly fee

How to reduce your premium

  • Save on your premium if you qualify for one or more of these discounts; combining your building and contents on one policy, not making any claims (no claim discount), and having an Advantage Package home loan
  • Some of your policy choices may also help reduce your premium; the higher the voluntary claim excess chosen, the lower your premium, a lower level of cover e.g. the premium for Essential Care is less than Quality Care, and installing security features (contents premium)

3 easy steps to protect your home and contents

For peace of mind that you’ve covered your most important possessions, BankSA offers comprehensive, flexible Home and Contents Insurance. Secure your finance and your insurance under the one roof with BankSA and rest easy knowing you’re protected.

Step 1: Choose which cover you need

Choose between Building and/or Contents insurance, depending on whether you own a home, a unit in a strata title, or are renting. For maximum flexibility these are separate policies, so you can choose one or both (see Step 2) for each.

  • Building insurance – covers your home Building against loss or damage
  • Contents insurance – covers your Contents against loss or damage
  • Personal Valuables cover – can be added to Contents policy for items you consider to be valuable or take outside your home.  

Step 2: Choose the level of cover you want 

With Building and Contents cover you can choose from three levels of cover.

  • Essential Care - provides a basic level of cover to protect your Building and/or Contents against loss or damage
  • Quality Care - covers your Building and/or Contents against loss or damage from a wider range of events, with additional benefits and higher limits of cover for your valuables
  • Premier Care - all the benefits of Quality Care with the extra protection of cover for accidental loss or damage anywhere in Australia, with more benefits and even higher limits of cover for your valuables.

See 'Cover' for what's included and the limits in each level of cover. 

Step 3:  Apply 

It's easy to apply by calling us or applying online. We can assist you with the details to ensure you're protected today 

See How to apply

Step 2: Choose your level of cover

To choose your level of cover, compare these key differences of the three levels of home and contents protection.

B = Included with Building cover

C = Included with Contents cover

Insured events/cover   Essential Care Quality Care Premier Care
Storm, fire, theft, flood, lightning, malicious damage, and more BC      
Legal liability cover up to $20 million BC      
Jewellery and watches1 C  Up to $500 per item, $3,000 in total  Up to $1,000 per item, $5,000 in total  Up to $5,000 per item, $20,000 in total
Artworks, collections and collectibles2 C  Up to $3,000  Up to $10,000  Up to $20,000
Cash, cheques and money orders C    Up to $750  Up to $1,250
Electrical motor burnout BC    For motors up to 15 years old  For motors up to 15 years old
Accidental breakage of glass BC      
Australia-wide cover for contents temporarily removed from your home C   Up to 20% of the contents sum insured  
Accidental loss or damage BC      

Extra cover

In addition to the sum insured, your Building and/or Contents cover comes with additional benefits, making it easier for you to get your home back to normal. Some additional benefits are paid in addition to the sum insured and some are paid as part of the sum insured.

Insured events/cover   Essential Care Quality Care Premier Care
Sum insured safety net* BC      
Demolition and removal of debris* BC      
Professional fees+ B      
Costs to comply with Legal or State authority requirements+ B      
Fire Brigade and services charges+ BC      
Emergency repairs and protection+ B      
Purchasing a home+ B      
Mortgage discharge+ B      
External locks and keys B    Up to $1,000  Up to $2,000
Rainwater tanks and solar hot water systems* B    Up to $3,000  Up to $5,000
Modifications to buildings for paraplegia and quadriplegia* B    Up to $5,000  Up to $10,000
Unsecured fixtures and materials during renovations+ B      Up to $2,000
Landscaping and garden re-establishment costs+ B      Up to $10,000
Emergency accommodation* BC      
Contents moved permanently to a new site+ C      
Temporary accommodation for pets* C    Up to $5,000  Up to $5,000
Emergency storage of contents+ C      
Funeral expenses* C    Up to $10,000  Up to $15,000
Frozen food loss C    Up to $500  Up to $2,000
Credit card loss C    Up to $1,000  Up to $5,000
Contents in the open air at the site+ C    Limited cover  
Contents temporarily removed to other places in Australia+ C    Limited cover  
Contents in a bank safe deposit box within Australia C    Limited cover  
Contents in a commercial storage facility C      
Contents in transit C      Limited cover
Veterinary expenses C      Up to $500
Loss of computer records+ C      Up to $3,000

~ limits and exclusions apply. Refer to PDS. Table applicable to new business cover dated on or after 26 October 2015. If you took out a policy before 26 October 2015, please refer to the PDS which is applicable to you at the bottom of this page.

* paid in addition to your home and/or contents sum insured.

+ paid as part of your building and/or contents sum insured.

Special contents and personal valuables

Within a Contents policy you have automatic, but limited cover, for jewellery, watches, artwork and collectibles that are usually kept in your home.

  • To cover jewellery and watches totalling more than the limits, you can take out optional Personal Valuables cover.
  • To cover artwork, collections and collectibles totalling more than the limits, you can list them as 'specified items' within your Contents policy.

How to apply

How to renew

  • Call us:  Call on 1300 554 002, Monday to Friday 8.30am – 5pm
  • BPAY® using the biller code and reference number on the payment slip
  • Over the counter at an Australia Post office

How to claim

When something happens to your home and the things you love, we know you’ll want help fast. So making a claim with us is simple.

Step 1: Submit your claim

Step 2: You also need to...

  • Advise the police immediately if the damage is malicious, property has been stolen or lost or your home has been illegally entered
  • Don’t allow anyone to repair the property until we have had a chance to inspect it.

Step 3: Provide us with the following information

  • We’ll send you a letter confirming your claim and case number, plus any further information or documents we may need you to provide, such as copies of original receipts for items you’re claiming and the police report.

How long does it take to settle a claim?

If no further information is needed, we’ll settle your claim within 10 business days after receiving your documentation.

Like some help?

If you need to send in documents relating to your claim, our details are below.

Please note your claim number on the documents or subject line:

Fax: 1300 200 850


Postal: GPO Box 4451

Sydney NSW 2001

If you need assistance, or want to track your claim, call us on 1300 656 345 and quote your case number.

Important information

Cover is subject to your application for insurance being accepted.

Win 12 months of no mortgage or rent campaign – Full Terms & Conditions

Home and Contents Insurance is issued by Westpac General Insurance Limited ABN 99 003 719 319 (except workers compensation cover where applicable). BankSA – a Division of Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 (the Bank) distributes the insurance, but does not guarantee the insurance. WGIL is a subsidiary of the Bank. This information does not take into account your personal circumstances. Read the Product Disclosure Statement, to see if this insurance is right for you.

#Safety net of between 5% and 30% of your sum insured, depending on your type of cover.

Product Disclosure Statements (PDS)

Key Facts Sheets (KFS)

Financial Services Guide (FSG)