Travel with greater peace of mind, knowing you can manage your credit card while you are overseas.
When travelling with your credit card, you don't need to carry traveller's cheques or large amounts of cash as your credit card opens the door to convenient spending wherever Visa or Mastercard® are accepted. Your Visa or Mastercard credit card is accepted worldwide and gives you access to many ATMs if you need cash.
To avoid any unexpected fees and charges, you should factor cash advance fees and International Mastercard or Visa transaction fees into your travelling budget. Find out more on how to minimise these and other fees.
Here are some tips on preparing your BankSA credit card before you leave:
- You could consider cards that offer complimentary travel insurance1 - Vertigo Platinum, Amplify Platinum or Amplify Signature
- Set up a PIN on your credit card for easy cash advances at overseas ATMs and at merchants that accept a PIN for credit card purchases
- Ensure your mobile number and email address are up-to-date. With BankSA’s Secure Online Shopping Service, from time to time you will need to enter a unique ‘One Time Password’, which you will receive via SMS or email, when shopping online with participating merchants. If you’re not planning to use your mobile phone number overseas, let us know if you've changed your address or email
- Register for Internet Banking so you can check your balances and make repayments online
- Arrange your regular credit card repayments before you leave with an Automatic Payment Plan
- Apply to increase your credit limit, if necessary, to avoid over limit fees.
- Help us protect your accounts while overseas by letting us know when and where you are travelling
- BankSA operates in many overseas locations and must comply with economic and trade sanctions at all times. Some countries present significant risk in relation to sanctions compliance. BankSA cards are not accessible and cannot be used in the following affected countries: Cuba, Crimea Region, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. To ensure access to other payment options in these countries, visit a BankSA branch to arrange an alternative solution.
Have you considered
SENSE is two great accounts working together – SENSE Everyday transaction account and SENSE Savings account. With BankSA SENSE you’ll save automatically, you can set savings targets and compare spending month by month.
Conditions and fees apply. Credit criteria apply to all credit products
Before making a decision, it's best to read the terms and conditions.
- Credit Card Conditions of Use
- Credit Card Accounts Fees and Charges
- Credit Card Complimentary Insurance Terms and Conditions
Please read these documents and keep a copy. You can request a paper copy at a branch.
The information on our website is prepared without knowing your personal financial circumstances. Before you act on this information, please consider if it's right for you. If you need help, call 13 13 76.
1. Complimentary insurance covers: AWP Australia Pty Ltd ABN 52 097 2227 177 AFSL 245631 (trading as Allianz Global Assistance) under a binder from the insurer, Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL 234708 has issued an insurance group policy to Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714 (Westpac) which allows eligible BankSA account holders and cardholders to claim under it as third party beneficiaries. Any advice on insurance is general advice only and not based on any consideration of your objectives, financial situation or needs. The terms, conditions, limits and exclusions of the group policy are set out in the Credit Card Complimentary Insurance Terms and Conditions which may be amended from time to time. Westpac does not guarantee this insurance.